3/17/2011

401-651-7118 cold called my cell phone with a recording

This was a telemarketing call from 401-651-7118 to my cell phone.

When I answered I heard a recorded message starting with "This is account services" and telling me I was eligible for lower interest rates and this was my "final notice." No company name was given.

I pressed "1" and got a live agent. I told her not to call me again. "Sure," she said, and disconnected.

That was a stark reminder that I must not have put my cell phone on the DNC registry. I guess Verizon and AT&T treated mobile numbers as unlisted numbers, but T-Mobile doesn't? Anyway, here's how to do it...

Federal Trade Commission Do-Not-Call Registry
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/donotcall/
Consumers can register on-line for the national do-not-call registry by going to http://www.donotcall.gov/. To register by telephone, consumers may call 1-888-382-1222: for TTY call 1-866-290-4236. You must call from the phone number you wish to register.

After your number has been on the DNC registry for 31 days, you may file complaints by calling the same number or going to the same web site above.

Even when you're on the DNC, not all unsolicited calls are prohibited. Nonprofits and companies you do business with can still call you.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home